Thursday, November 13, 2008

Camera Photo Dump

Ok, I have something for everyone in this post! Megs took me on a tour of the city before I was too sick, so I've got those photos, plus some random ones.

I can't remember all the stories, so I am cheating a bit and using Wiki. I have linked to the important things if you want to read up on Boston history, just click the blue links embedded below for more details. I suggest you do, it is very interesting!



This is the State House. Megs told me a funny story that they can only conduct business if this "Sacred Cod" fish is hanging on the wall. In 1933, some Harvard Lampoon kids stole the fish, and all operations had to cease until they got it back.



These photos are from the cemetery on the hill, Copp's Hill Burying Ground. I just posted them because Megs pointed out to me the skulls that adorn them. Odd, right? Apparently a long long time ago, skulls weren't seen as quite so sinister. And now they aren't so sinister, either, as junior high kids sport them as logos.



This is the "Skinny House" on Hull Street across from the cemetery. It is the narrowest house in Boston. It only spans 10 feet at its widest point. It has four levels, and only five doors. Legend is that the house is the result of a bit of vengeance. Apparently it was built solely to block someone else's view and ventilation.



This, I just don't get. The city put up these gigantic push pins all over the place...I suppose to let you know you are someplace important? Everyone tells me the city is far far in debt, so things like this seem a little frivolous and pointless.



This is Paul Revere's House. It is the only wooden building in this district, and looks very out of place, and very interesting. It has been renovated many times, and at one time was a tenement, and one time a candy store.



This is the Old North Church. You know, "One if by land, two if by sea." You should really read this one, lots of history there.



This is the site of the Boston Massacre. Thom and Kim -- see why you missed it? It is just a mark in the traffic diversion thing. This story is SO fascinating. Apparently the massacre was started on accident, and everyone involved was acquitted, except for two soldiers who were found to have fired directly into the crowd. There is SO much more, but of course you can research that on your own, this is just a blog!



Ok, these aren't in any order, but everyone is asking me how far my house is from public transportation. I took this photo at the bus stop -- that is my house in the photo. It is literally about ten steps from the bus stop. Very, very convenient.



This is an extreme close-up of the New England Holocaust Memorial. The thing is amazing, click the link to see what it looks like from a distance. It is all glass, absolutely beautiful. There are six huge glass towers engraved with the numbers one through six million to symbolize the six million killed. Each tower symbolizes a major concentration camp. There are also quotes and sayings carved into the glass, and smoke comes out of the grates beneath it, which give it a very eerie ambiance.



This is the Cheers bar, but it isn't actually what inspired Cheers, that was the Bull and Finch. This is pretty much a replica, but that's what everyone knows as the Cheers bar.



This is a fun gravestone in Copp's Hill. The man, Captain Daniel Malcolm, knew British Soldiers would occupy this cemetery, as it was the highest point. He didn't want them to dig him up for sport, so he made sure to have himself buried 10 feet deep, instead of the usual six, and interred in a concrete tomb. He had this information engraved right there on the stone. Apparently the soldiers were frustrated that they couldn't dig him up, so they just shot his grave with muskets instead. See the bullet marks?



This is a bridge that you can hardly see, but I thought it was pretty. Have no idea what bridge it is, or where it goes.



This is a Ben Franklin statue. You look from one side, and he is serious, look from the other side, and he is playful.



This is the old State House (I might have that wrong), and it is the balcony where the Declaration of Independence was first read.



Another cemetery.



Ok, this one is for Thomas! A duck tour, and you missed it! All the more reason to move here!



This one is for Dad, it is a Spartan that I found, according to his apron, his name is Maurice.


Renaked, this one is for you! Fond memories of Dirty Nelly's in San Antonio, and I found one here! Only this one is "Durty" Nelly's. This place is the capital of Irish pubs, I swear. I have found heaven.



And mom, this one is for you!! Look what I spent my last $12 on. HA! But seriously, all these for $12? That's a steal!

2 comments:

  1. Hey- the one in San Antion is Durty Nelly's too! You got it right, no wonder you feel at home! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...I've been reading for an hour! How interesting-I can't wait to get there and see the history in person!
    Nana Sweetie

    ReplyDelete