Sunday, January 25, 2009

Birthday.

Today is Steve's 30th birthday! Last night we had an a really nice dinner to celebrate. We had a proper Southern meal -- sweet potato soup, collard greens cooked in bacon, corn fritters, a Vernor's glazed ham, and an amazing work of art, aka cake, done by Megs.

Aside from the cake, my favorite was corn fritters. I had never heard of such a thing, and I wish I had taken a photo, but you wouldn't have been able to tell from the photo that they tasted amazing!

This was the ham, you can see just a bit of the collard greens on the side. If you have never tried a Vernor's glazed ham, you really should! Here is the recipe, to give you an idea.



This is the perfect cake:



And this is what it looked like on the inside:



It was layers of cake, buttercream frosting, and chocolate ganache. Somehow there was espresso in there somewhere as well. I took some pieces home on the T, and everyone kept asking me if they could have some. No!

Random stranger, "Wow, that cake sure does look good!"

Me, "Yeah, doesn't it? See you later!"

2 comments:

  1. Can u send some of that food my way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, people in Boston must be hard up, begging for food on the train!!

    ReplyDelete