Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Welcome to Texas!

I went back to Texas for the first time last week. The first place I went, aside from the airport and Nana's house, was Wal-Mart! I was really excited to visit this wonderous place. Yes, Bostonians, there does exist a place where you can buy socks, a comforter, nails, shampoo, and breakfast all in one stop.



However, wonder soon turned to terror while I shopped. Shopping here was miserable, and I have no idea how I did it for so long...tiny kids running everywhere (directly into you, in some cases), parents not in sight, people acting like animals, no fresh produce, no good brands. I would take the Market Basket over Wal-Mart any day, though I did get some really cheap drugstore items to bring back. I spent about an hour trying to find raisins, and having a panic attack.

Most of the time was spent lounging here, next to the diving board, feet dipped into the lovely lagoon. The weather was nice, but very hot. I thought the heat would kill me, but it felt pretty normal, and nice.



This is where I stayed:



Such a lovely guest house! No running water, but hey, who needs it?

It rained a lot, Nana and I were shopping when these dark clouds rolled in. Do you have any idea how nice it was to drive to stores? And not have to pay to park?

My Rite Aid drugstore here in Boston has metered parking. At a drugstore. Please.



Here is the Texas flag that hangs in Nana's backyard. She made it herself. It sort of makes me tear up looking at it.



When I left Boston, it was in the 60s for the highs. In Texas, at 2pm, it was nearly 100. Every day when we woke up, it was well in the high 80s already.



The trip was a success, but made me more homesick. I am getting back in the groove now, back to the daily grind of Bean Town.

Everyone goes NUTS for summer in Boston. It makes sense -- they have 10 months of freezing cold, so they need to soak up the sun during those remaining two months. People are everywhere.

This picture is for Nana:



Remember when we went to the Aquarium and had lunch? And there was no one there? Look at the crowds this summer!

1 comment: